Sunday, January 11, 2009

DAD


 
                                                  Anthony Salvatore Tamburo, Sr.                                                        

                                                        August 17, 1930-Jan 2, 2009

I have been a terrible blogger lately .  I have a lot of  catching up to do.  It has not been a good start to the new year. My Dad passed away due to complications from a fall and brain injury.  I am thankful I was able to see him before he died and there to say goodbye .  Although,  he was in a coma and did not know we were even there.   My relationship with my Dad has not been very close since my parents were divorced when I was 6.  We did not spend a lot of time together and even went for several years without speaking.  However, the last year and a half we kept in contact and he even came to visit us with my sister in June.  We had a great time and I think he enjoyed himself and enjoyed being with the kids.  He also apologized to me for the past and thanked me for having him here and said he never expected me to treat him so well.  It must have took a lot for him to say that because he was never good with that. He also said he could not change the past and he wished he could.  Those words meant so much and I am struggling with the fact that I could have done more as a daughter also.  But it is what it is and as he said you can't change the past.  Death is such a final reminder of what is important in life....not hanging on to the past, not clinging to anger and frustration,  learning to forgive one another and learning to forgive yourself....reaching out even when you thought you have reached out all you could and loving each other through good and bad.   In the end,  that is really all that is important.  My prayer is that my Dad is at peace.



3 comments:

Lynn said...

Ruthie, you WERE a good daughter! I was there, I saw you try so hard even when you were little. Do you remember walking to your house with me one day, and you were so excited to see his van in the driveway?

Please don't beat yourself up. It takes two, and I think your Dad realized some things last year. Be thankful for that last visit when he got to see what a great person, wife, and mom you turned out to be.

Take care!
Love,
Lynn

Stacy said...

My dear sweet sister in law. He is at peace, he had all of his children together again. He now knows that he was loved. I love you Stacy

Bonnie said...

Ruth, very nice post, very touching. I'm glad you had that last time with your father.